Monday, February 27, 2017

Hybrids: The Carbon Cure

I believe I can speak for all the freshman car-owners here when I say that college makes me miss my car more and more every day. There is no better feeling than strapping yourself into your car and smelling the aura of freedom- the freedom to drive anywhere outside of the Penn State bubble that is. While I do love this school, being stuck without a car can make me feel trapped, and I do miss how time-saving driving is. I can never wait to go home and reunite with my vehicle.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I went home this weekend and found out my sister totaled my precious little car. (My sister's fine, don't worry.)

For this week's blog, I thought I'd pay tribute to my dying Volkswagen by examining how cars can save the environment. But not just any type of car... hybrid cars.

One of the main contributors to the greenhouse effect is the gasoline-powered car. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, carbon dioxide emission from cars, trucks, freight trains, and airplanes account for about one/fifth of the total global climate change pollution in the United States. To put that into perspective, just one gallon of gasoline produces almost 20 pounds of carbon dioxide when burned! After filling up tank after tank, the EIA says that the United States total carbon emission from gasoline combustion grew to be 1.2 million metric tons in 2015. That's a pretty unfortunate amount. Plus, greenhouse gases are only some of the many pollutants that exit our exhaust pipes every day. Add in the hydrocarbons, particulate matters, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxides, sulfur dioxides, and other hazardous air pollutants I can't even pronounce, and gasoline cars become a recipe for environmental disaster. 

Not to mention that gasoline is toxic in and of itself. Some gasolines are still lead-based, meaning the chemicals from emissions can have a direct effect on public health.

Hybrid cars were, therefore, designed to lower the intake of gasoline and decrease the gaseous emissions of regular vehicles. While EIA reports say Americans use over 385 million gallons of gasoline every year to fuel their gas-powered vehicles, the hybrid car uses an electric motor in combination with a greatly reduced gasoline tank. AUTO describes how this combination allows for a massive reduction in carbon emission and gas usage. The electric motor doubles as a generator, meaning it alternates when the battery is being used and when the gasoline is being burned. From this alternation, less gas is combusted and fewer carbon is emitted; without reliance on a gasoline fuel, the engine can sometimes completely shut off. In fact, some car models are created so that the engine only turns on once you hit a certain speed. Plus, a smaller gas tank also allows the car's efficiency to increase- smaller engines are light and don't require as much energy to function.

What I'm trying to get at here is that hybrid cars are the perfect balance between gas-fueled and electric cars. Gas-fueled engines emit pollution, but electric cars can only run for about 50 miles per charge. Hybrids are an excellent environmental choice that offer little sacrifice from the consumer. Almost no carbon is emitted, but electric power is nearly as strong as that of a gas-fueled car.

Plus, the hybrid is very cost-effective. Depending on the model of the car, hybrids can save almost $5,000 in gas money. Granted, the cars may be more expensive to purchase, but they ultimately pay for themselves. According to Chicago Tribune, the more you drive and the longer you own the car, the more money you will eventually save. So for all you soon-to-be car owners, hybrids are the move if you're balling on a budget.

With the increasing implementation of hybrid cars in society, the amount of greenhouse gases (as well as other toxic chemicals) being emitted into the air will decrease dramatically, ultimately undermining the effects of global climate change. Less gas combustion through transportation means a healthier society and a happier environment.

Now I know what you're thinking: hybrid cars aren't as cool as a fun Lamborghini or a slick Ferrari. (I remember making fun of my drama director after he traded in his Volkswagen for a hybrid Toyota Prius). But there are actually some sweet options on the market that let you save the environment in style. Here are just a few of the many cool models that implement a hybrid design (courtesy of autobytel):

the 2014 Cadillac ELR


the 2014 BMW 3


the 2015 BMW i8


Just choose your style and get cruisin'! You'll save money and help revert global climate change. What better way to lower carbon emission in fashion?






6 comments:

  1. Your opening line is very strong in relating to your audience. I, too, am very excited to drive my car over break. Your explanation for writing this post with the use of an interesting and humorous anecdote drew me in! I am sure that I would feel a lot better about my carbon footprint if I drove less or if I owned one of these cars. Too bad I only have about two dollars in my bank account! Maybe in a few years, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely miss my car a lot, I'm sorry your sister totaled your car! I didn't know that hybrid cars could save so much money on gas. My car is such a gas guzzler since it's a sports car and I'm going to be moving to a Jeep by next semester, so I don't think that'll do much good either. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I definitely understand the struggle of not having a car, which is why after break i'm totally bringing it back. I especially see the great value in hybrids because it saves a ton of gas money and is quieter on the roads. But I had no idea that it reduces the amount of greenhouse gases. I definitely want to purchase one after college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to the feeling of freedom I feel when I am driving my car, and I was interested to find out about how much different hybrid cars are in terms of effect on the environment. When I am in the working world and can afford to pay for my own car, I will look into a hybrid because I really want to reduce my negative impact on the earth. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post- it was very engaging! The statistics you included were very persuasive. From a scientific perspective, I always wonder if there would be more value in just focusing research on bettering the range of electric cars instead of trying to improve hybrid cars. Given the current characteristics of both types of cars, I would definitely agree with you that the hybrid is the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never actually knew the science behind how hybrid cars worked - so I appreciate you going into that when discussing the tradeoffs of gas-powered and electric cars. I know that when it comes to the tough Pennsylvania winters, I would trust a gas-powered car more than hybrid or electric because these technologies are newer and can seem to fail more easily. The idea of running out of charge terrifies me! It is also really important that you mentioned how the cost discrepancy up front really does even out in the long run - which is a pro for more environmentally friendly cars!

    ReplyDelete